A New List of Smiles

I had a really good day today (ok, by now it's "yesterday", but I started writing this piece before midnight).  It was an emotional roller coaster of a day, but even the low points had highlights.  Thinking about that made me realize ... it's time for another list of smiles.  So ... without further ado (and in no particular order), here's a list of things that made me smile recently - sometimes even through tears.
  1. I had a really great day with my mom.  Sounds simple enough, but it's been a while since we were able to really talk like we did today, to laugh, to cry, and most importantly, to hug.
  2. Over the past week, I "met" (through a facebook site about one of my Relay For Life events) someone who is struggling with a very sick loved one.  Though her story made me cry, her faith and her dedication to the cause are inspiring.  Most of all, I'm hopeful that we're going to be able to do something to help this family in need.
  3. After a month of questions, tests, drugs and more tests, there is finally some major improvement in my latest medical saga.  We're still working on figuring things out, but progress is good!
  4. Went to see The Muppets with hubby the other day ... and it was even better than I expected!  Totally took me back to the innocence of childhood, but with emotional moments & outstanding cameos that the adult in me could really appreciate.  And of course ...
  5. Earlier in the week, I went purple clothes shopping, and got a few cute tops.  Today, the bonus: purple boots!!
    **Note - I'm not referring to holiday purple here - no ambivalence whatsoever.  Purple has always been one of my favorite colors, and since I got involved with Relay, it's just become that much more meaningful.
  6. At a craft fair, I started talking with one of the vendors who had made a breast cancer awareness quilt.  When I mentioned where I work, she asked if we could speak to her women's group.  We exchanged contact information, and I'm excited for the new opportunity to help spread the mission message.  
  7. At the next table, a woman (who turned out to be that vendor's mother) overheard our conversation, and immediately offered support as well.  She donated a few pieces of pink ribbon jewelry from her table, and asked me to let her know about any other opportunities for her to donate more.  It is always touching when people jump to help ... especially when they do it without even being asked.
  8. This week, I learned to appreciate the fact that my mom never gets rid of anything.  Last year (when I lost weight), I gave her a bunch of clothes that no longer fit me.  Unfortunately, with the way this year has turned out, that weight has come back ... and shopping has been not only depressing, but difficult. BUT ... thanks to mom being a bit of a hoarder ;), I've gotten quite a few compliments on my hand-me-backs (what else would you call it when you get back your hand-me-downs?).
  9. My cousin sent me a picture of his latest tattoo, now complete with my buttahfly in full color resting on the petal of a lily (next to an iris).
  10. I've had so many opportunities lately to recognize and appreciate how fortunate I am to work where I do with such an amazing, supportive, and caring team for such an incredibly important cause. When so many other aspects of my life have been in upheaval, this has been the constant positive to keep me going ... and the newest additions to the team just make it even better!
So there we have it ... my second post this month (also something I'm happy about), and a chance to focus on the positive.  Let's keep that energy flowing - what have you been smiling about lately?