Off the Wagon?

I'm really excited about this, and had to share.  Yesterday's little experiment worked better than I expected, and I believe I know why.  With that understanding, it's something I would highly recommend for anyone in a similar situation.  There are very specific details to it, though - it's not as simple as it might seem.  The difference, I believe, is in the details.  Allow me to explain.

Ok, so here's the scenario - you're really on a roll - losing weight, feeling great ... energy up, sizes down.  You actually prefer the healthy lifestyle and all that it has brought you.  You know that you'll never allow yourself to go back to your old ways, because everything seems so much better now.  But then life happens, and you fall off the wagon.  And you keep on falling, until you feel like you can't get up.

The difference here is that this time I didn't fall off the wagon - I jumped.  Deliberately.  I looked around, saw the distance to the ground, and found the schedule for the next wagon.  This was not an uncontrollable binge filled with guilt and shame, because I set the rules.  It was a conscious decision to take a much needed break from the day-to-day routine.  There was a designated beginning and end (Friday only), a specified uniform (comfy pjs), an agenda for the day (lounging on the couch, cuddling with hubby, and more lounging on the couch), a set menu (leftovers).  Only one thing was forbidden yesterday: guilt.
My Comfy Couch

So I followed my rules, and yesterday was awesome.  I enjoyed the pie(s), and even enjoyed throwing them out when I decided I didn't want any more.  I didn't work out.  I didn't do housework.  I didn't do "work" work.  I watched a few episodes of Degrassi on demand (stop laughing at me), and watched Dexter (again) when my husband came home.  I had a much needed, long overdue, lazy day, and I loved it.

The really cool part is that today was even more awesome than yesterday.  I put on the exercise video that I've been missing for a week.  Though I still hate push-ups, I really do love the rest of the workout.  It's invigorating, empowering.  When I'm done, I feel like I can do anything - like I can do everything.  So I got ambitious for the day.  I did the dishes.  I sorted the laundry (I was going to do the laundry, but I had no cash for the machines).  I went food shopping and went to the drug store for a few other things.  While I was out, I got cash, so when I came home I did the laundry (with hubby's help).  And then I made a healthy dinner, and it was yummy.  And now I'm writing this.

Looking back at the past few days, and thinking about how I feel now, I think I've discovered the secret to long-term success.  The best way to avoid falling off the wagon is to take a predetermined, organized, guilt-free jump, and then get back on.  Give yourself a day every once in a while, and it can lead to a much more satisfying life!

If you like what you read, tell a friend!  Actually, tell me too - post a comment below!!  If not, well ... I'm all for honesty, but please be gentle!