Saturday, November 20, 2010

36 Ums

When I was in sixth grade, my class was given an assignment.  I don't remember what the topic was, but we each had to give some sort of oral presentation.  When it was my turn, I stood up in front of the class and gave my speech.  When I finished, I returned to my seat, proud of how well I had done.  I looked around to see the approval in my classmates' eyes, and one spoke up.  

     "Thirty-six ums," she said.
     "What?" 
     "You said 'um' thirty-six times.  I counted!"

Wow.  That was not exactly the impression I was hoping to make.  But apparently, it was an impression that lasted.  We went to different junior high schools, but met up again in a Spanish class in high school.  

     "Oh my goodness - HI!!!" I called out, excited to see her after all those years (hey, when you're 13 years old, two years is a long time).
     "Thirty-six ums!" she said.  

Again.  

That's it for today, folks.  No big long story of how this moment changed my life (it didn't).  I just thought you could use a laugh this weekend.  Happy Saturday!

If you like what you read, tell a friend!  Actually, tell me too - post a comment below!!  If not, well ... I'm all for honesty, but please be gentle!


2 comments:

  1. That's priceless! It could have been worse though, you could've said "hi" and she could have looked back at you blankly like wth is THAT?" I'd take the association! ;)

    I've seen this before though. There's a girl I work with that says "um" a lot. I mean probably more than you and with a drawn out Texan drawl...so it's more like "uhhmm"

    In a staff meeting, she's going over everyone's duties for the next big event. We're all sitting there and listening. I briefly scanned the conference room, looking at everyone around the table and this one girl is sitting there with the corner of her agenda riddled with tally marks. So, I'm watching, trying to not be obvious because now she has my attention rather than the girl running the meeting. I'm thinking "what the heck is she counting???" Sure enough...she was counting ums too. :)

    Beware...there's more out there! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. On my job...I count "obviously"....there is a plethora of 'obviouslys", most of the time when absolutely nothing is obvious except in the mind of the speaker.

    ReplyDelete