KISS: Kick In to Stop Sarcoidosis


Everyone knows that it’s not easy living with sarcoidosis.  I take that back.  Hardly anyone knows.  In fact, most people have never even heard of it, and don’t understand when we try to explain (“at least it’s not cancer”).  That just makes it even harder for us to get through life with this disease.  It can make us feel so alone.


I know it was like that for me.  After years of bouncing from doctor to doctor, being dismissed and disregarded with no diagnosis (“maybe you’re just depressed”) or just the wrong diagnosis and a series of treatments that didn’t help, I was finally diagnosed with sarcoidosis in late 2015.  I’d looked up everything I could online, and spoken with dozens of doctors, but I never actually met anyone with my disease … until I attended a Sarcoidosis Awareness Walk.  There was an instant connection, an instant bond with the people I met there, and we have stayed in touch since that day … but that walk was 2 hours away from where I live.  There was nothing – and no one that I knew of – closer to me.

That’s why I’ve started the KISS Westchester Sarcoidosis Walk ‘n’ Roll, and I hope you’ll join me.  The event is in Mamaroneck (map/directions), but may draw participants from all over Westchester, NYC, and some areas of Connecticut.  It’s a chance for us to come together as a community to know that we are not alone in this fight, a chance for us to raise awareness about this disease, and a chance to raise funds for research towards better treatments and someday, a cure. There’s no set distance: we’re on a track, so you can walk (or roll) as much or as little as you’re able.  The important thing is to be there.

You can register here, and join us on Facebook for the latest updates.  If you are unable to join us, you can register as a virtual walker or support us with a donation.  All proceeds will be donated to  Foundation for Sarcoidosis Research.
If you have any questions about the disease, the event, or the organization we're supporting, please don’t hesitate to contact me any time at AmbassadorKerryW@stopsarcoidosis.org.


Like what you see here at Float Like a Buttahfly?
     Follow me on Facebook and Twitter, and feel free to share/tell a friend!
Have a question?  Contact me at floatlikeabuttahfly@gmail.com.

Something to say right here, right now?  Post a comment below!